carousel-arrow Facebook Filters Pinterest Search Arrow Twitter YouTube

Information for Landlords

Energy Performance Certificate (EPC)

An EPC is a legal requirement for all rented apartments. They last for ten years from the date the inspection was carried out. We can help you obtain an EPC if you don’t already have one.

Right to rent (RTR)

It’s a legal requirement to check all tenants’ residential status and their legal right to reside in the UK. Landlords (or the landlord’s agent) must verify these documents in person. If your tenant is from the UK or EU then a copy of their passport or resident permit must be witnessed. It’s the same for those who come from outside the UK or EU. But you’ll also need to check they have a valid visa too. If you’re unsure about the validity of any documents then you’ll need to inform UK Visas and Immigration. We can do this for you as well as any other checks to make sure you comply with the law.

Non-resident Landlords (NRL) Scheme/Tax

If you live abroad and rent out property in the UK then you’re liable for tax. Any agent operating in the UK on behalf of an overseas landlord is obliged to deduct tax from the rent received. This is paid each quarter to Her Majesty’s Revenue & Customs (HMRC). Except when they are given HMRC approval to pass on the full rent. This means you need to fill in an NRL1 form, which you can find at:


If you do receive approval from HMRC you’ll be given a unique approval number. Once HMRC has sent a copy to us, we can pay you the full rental amount instead. You may still pay tax on this income but you can do it as part of your annual tax return instead of automatically. If you’ve already paid quarterly tax on your property income, we can also help you work out if and how you can claim money back from HMRC. Or whether we can simply transfer the funds directly to you.


It’s worth conducting a professional inventory before any tenancy begins.  It’ll tell you the condition of your property from top to bottom. It’ll also list all your furnishings. If the tenants leave, this inventory provides the evidence to assess any damage so you can make a claim against the deposit. To make this easier for you, we can compile the inventory on your behalf. We’ll also provide you with a check-in and check-out report. This will highlight any damages or if items have been removed.

Houses of Multiple Occupation (HMO)

If your tenancy falls under HMO regulations, then you’ll need an HMO licence. Your home may be considered an HMO if both of the following apply:


  • At least 3 tenants live there, forming more than 1 household
  • They share toilet, bathroom or kitchen facilities with other tenants


Please note, your home would be considered a large HMO if both of the following apply:


  • At least 5 tenants live there, forming more than 1 household
  • They share toilet, bathroom or kitchen facilities with other tenants


We can help by assessing whether you need to apply for an HMO licence. If you do, we can walk you through the process and hold it on your behalf.

Tenant Fees Act 2019

This Act was introduced in June 2019. It aims to reduce the costs that tenants often face. Either at the start of or throughout a tenancy. For example, it bans anyone from charging most letting fees to tenants. It also caps the deposits that can be taken by landlords or agents. This means you can’t pass on, or expect your agent to pass on, most charges to your tenants. Except those that are permitted payments as set out in the Act. If you want to find out more, click here